Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Are We There Yet!

July 22

We are leaving today for San Francisco.  We discuss our route.  Bruce has talked with some guys at the RV parks we stayed at and they assured him we could go down Hwy. 1 as far as San Francisco, so we decide that's what we will do.  We take off.  Now we are only going approx. 180 miles.  Not far.  We get to the turn off for Hwy. 1, I am looking at the map, Bruce turns and then he says to me did you see that sign?  I said no what did it say?  He says no vehicles over 40 ft allowed.  Well the big bear express is 43 ft. plus the golf cart carrier and Ruby.  We are definitely over the limit so I say we better turn around and he says where!  It is impossible.  So we just keep going.  Talk about a nail biter.  It took us 6 hrs. to go 100 miles.
Redwoods don't just grow in the national park.  They pop up in groves all along the coast.  And they are always awesome!
 
 
 
These are signs that we are on the WRONG road.  Ziggy was so upset with all the horn blowing to warn people we were coming around the curves and the thumps of the center strip Bruce was driving on to keep away from the edge of the road that he growled at us.
 
 
 
The coast was awesome when we got to it, but still curvy.
 
I don't know what kind of trees these are but they were really neat.
I am putting these pix on in the order I took them so you can see how often the landscape changes.
 
 
Is that Jack Sparrow?
Back up we go
Is that what straight road looks like?
 
Their back.  Another grove of redwoods!
And then there were grapes.
What?  I think Bruce made a wrong turn!
We finally made it to the divided Hwy. just in time for rush hour.  When we got to the RV park I told the guy checking us in that it took us so long because we drove Hwy. 1.  He looked at me and said you can't do that.  I said well we sure did and it was a nightmare.  The people staying next to us drove it one day in their jeep.  They couldn't believe we did it either.  I bet those guys who told Bruce it was OK to drive it are sitting somewhere laughing about those dumb people from Indiana!  We checked in and ordered pizza delivery.  A very, very, very long day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment